Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Work, work, and more WORK

I really like the idea of not having people in our video montage assignment. Even during last class when we were shooting a few scenes for our group video, I was thinking about the absence of people. We shot a few scenes of doors, a pen and paper, and some papers shuffling - no people. It just seems like the more technology we use, the less our physical presence is needed.

This is actually one of the few courses I've taken on campus in a while. Since I've been working full time for a few years, and with my entire program being available online, I can now finish school at my own schedule. No face to face interaction required for the most part, except when I go to write an exam, and even that can be written with just a proctor present. Is that the way everything is going to be? Since when did human presence no longer matter? And more importantly, where was I? Likely sending a message on BBM...

For my own video, I thought about the absence of people in my day-to-day work. Working from home, emails, or calling-in to meetings seems to get the job done, and done well. Even though my work revolves around what people want in terms of their telecommunications, I don't have to see these people; I don't even need to talk to them. I can ask them some questions on a survey and still understand their wants and needs. I began thinking I could use clips of my daily routine; typing, sending emails, reading emails, writing reports, calling into meetings, etc. I basically feel like a computer sometimes - though not nearly as efficient. However a computer may feel, I'm not quite sure - but I'm hoping to translate this idea over somehow through my hip hop montage. I'm still brainstorming though as I make it through each lecture, so more thoughts to come...


No comments:

Post a Comment